Janet Bogardus, cERTIFIED LAMAZE CHILDBIRTH educator
It has been such a joy to help families during the wonder of pregnancy and childbirth. In addition to teaching private childbirth classes, I have been on faculty at Mt. Sinai West (formerly Roosevelt Hospital) since 2006 where I teach group childbirth classes in Lamaze Childbirth Education, The Birthing Center class and Prenatal Yoga.
I am interested in helping the laboring woman find her own inner strength and wisdom, to trust her instincts so she can relax and move to the rhythm of her body.
Before I became a childbirth educator…
When I was little I was very athletic: whether I was throwing cartwheels, playing on a tennis team or creating dances, I loved movement. In college I studied dance and theater. Post graduation, I moved to San Francisco and then to New York City where I have lived ever since. I held down many day jobs while pursuing my love of dance and theater. In the 1990’s, I founded a dance company called Instant Girl with my 2 of my childhood friends. During this decade I performed all over New York City and Los Angeles and we were even seen on the Jon Stewart Show, MTV and PBS.
Also during my Instant Girl days I met my husband. A few years later our children, Lily and Georgia, were born! The birth of my daughters was quite profound and proved to be life changing. I realized after giving birth that I was inspired by childbirth. Eighteen years ago, I became a prenatal yoga teacher. In 2006, I became a certified Lamaze teacher. Two years later I earned my labor support doula certification from DONA. Helping families during this very special time during their lives has been my calling ever since.
- Certified Childbirth Educator (Lamaze International)
- Certified Birth Doula (DONA)
- Certified Lactation Counselor (Healthy Children's Center for Breastfeeding)
- Certified Prenatal and Postpartum Yoga Teacher (IYI)
- Certified Vinyasa Yoga teacher (Om Yoga)
- BA, Sarah Lawrence College
- March of Dimes Nurses Conference
- DONA International Workshop
- The Mayan Midwife: Rescuing Traditions for the New Millennium
- Postpartum Depression, How to Help
- Homeopathy and Childbirth
- Pressure Points for Labor